Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Good and bad manners...

As far as I'm concerned, I feel that men whistling or shouting comments at girls they find attractive is revolting. I also think that people leaving the table when everybody is not finish is disrespectful. Finally, I don't consider phoning after ten o'clock in the evening acceptable!


If I had to choose 6 most important things to teach to my children I would take:

-Don't eat with the mouth open or while speaking at the same time.

-Say thank you if somebody hold the door for you, give you a present, wish you good things,...

-Don't put your spoon back in the jar if leaking it before.

-Use the polite form to speak to elderly people or foreigners.

-Don't speak at the same time as somebody else.

-Don't swear all the time.


As far as good manners between men and women are concerned, one the one hand, I would be greatful if a men would hold the door for me. But, on the other hand, I learned last year in a class of courteounsness that actually, the man had to enter the first. In fact, if you take the example of a couple going to a restaurant, it can have stairs. In this case, it is better for the girl to be the second one entering in case she fallin the stairs. (It is more common for a girl to fall while going down than going up; so, in any case, being the second is better.)

Concerning belgium, we don't really have social taboos. Or at last, not that I can think about... So, if you go to Belgium, feel free to give no, one, two, three, four,... kisses while greeting even if the most common remain one kiss!

No comments: